Carpet Cleaning Can Be Easy!
The key to keeping the carpet clean is all in the routine!
- Vacuum regularly.
- Clean spots and spills quickly. The CRI (Carpet Rug Institute) has a list of certified cleaning solutions.
- Professionally clean your carpets every 12 to 18 months (this is usually required by the manufacturer to ensure warranty protection)
- Stop dirt at the door by using door mats and change your air filters
Today’s stain resistance technology makes carpet cleaning simple but as a reminder, there is no such thing as a 100% stain-proof carpet, so when there is a spill, you must act quickly. Each vendor will have a guide to help with cleaning which can be found on their websites.
If a spill or spot happens here is a general guide on how to clean it up;
- Blot liquids with a white absorbent cloth or paper towel. Blot until the area is nearly dry. Semi solids, like food, may be scooped with a spoon, and solid dry pieces can be vacuumed up. ** Do not scrub or use a brush, this can damage the carpet. **
- Use a safe cleaning product to treat the spot or stain. (Always pretest any cleaner on a scrap of carpet or in an out-of-the-way area.) Follow the product’s instructions carefully. Apply the cleaner to a white cloth and blot working in gently from the edges to the center. This may need to be repeated until the spot is gone. Blot again with clean water to remove any remaining product.
—The Carpet and Rug Institute, Inc. (2022). Carpet for Homes. Retrieved from The Carpet and Rug Institute, Inc.: www.carpet-rug.org